Outsider Status

Thursday, July 20, 2006

all wrapped up in a bottle of wine


BRIEF-ASS THOUGHTS ON RECENT MUSIC
(brief, descriptive, disconnected sentences don't count as reviews, I suppose)

Lily Allen - Alright Still

A really fun, messy pop album. Her persona is charming as hell, and she's at her best when she's most ridiculous. "Alfie" has become my favorite song of the summer.

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

My favorite TVotR album, by far. So much more fun than their last one. This breezes by in a really weird way. "Tonight" is absurdly good.

Girl Talk - Night Ripper

I shit my pants when Neutral Milk Hotel came on. I'm such a nerd. It may be gimmicky, but it's also really fun. It's at least worth a listen.

Frightened Rabbit - Sings the Greys

Damned good stuff. Sometimes simplicity can be a relief.

The Futureheads - News & Tributes

Less barbershop quartet harmonies, which is a damned shame. Good, but not as addictive as the first.

Howe Gleb - 'Sno Angel Like You

I probably need to give this a few more listens to get over genre nervousness.

Matthew Freidberger - Winter Woman/Holy Ghost Language School

I'm just gonna hope that he gets over his rut and gets back to evolving and changing with every album. After Blueberry Boat, he got stagnant. He needs to direct his attention toward a guitar and drums. This "toy music" is getting old. But I do like Bitter Tea, EP, and Rehearsing My Choir. It's just that, frankly, Matt, you are beginning to repeat yourself. And when you take up two disks doing it, it hurts me.

Mission of Burma - The Obliterati

This is my first MoB experience (a bizarre omission in my musical history), and I am in love. I'm gonna sniff out the back catalog as fast as possible. This is a pretty great album unto itself as well.

The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely

Of course I was gonna be dissapointed with anything after The Sunset Tree. That is one of my favorite albums. Ever. This is very pretty. But it's boring and unexceptional when compared with what Darniell proved himself capable of last year...and the years before that too. My least favorite Mounain Goats album, methinks.

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos

My Morning Jacket may be my favorite live show ever. This live album illustrates why that is. There's a DVD due in the Fall as well. I cannot explain how awesome they are live. Please check this out. If you can, find their 32 song set from Bonnaroo this year. It's an even better example of their awesomeness.

The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes

They're pretty good. But it wears thin really early on. Not a fantastic album, but great for mixes and such.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russ said...

I had no idea Matthew Friedberger released his solo album yet. And I really had better get my hands on the new TV album asap...

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home