Outsider Status

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

These temps, they're like wolves!



I haven't posted in a damn long while. Life is chaotic and my brain is scrambled. I can barely think of any cogent thoughts on pop culture. Right now my brain is doing pretty much what Mr. Darniell is doing over there. It's pooped.

But I must be strong enough to post at least one or two thoughts.

Pitchfork Festival

I ended up going to Chicago (a city I have never been to) alone for the weekend, which was more fun than intimidating. The first day of the festival was hot and not terribly engaging. I really enjoyed Band of Horses; The Mountain Goats were pretty good, but I wasn't crazy about the song selection considering that they only had 30 minutes to play (play "The Murder Song" for 7 or 8 minutes, but don't play a single track from The Sunset Tree? Am I just not hardcore enough of a fan to appreciate that?). Destroyer was reasonably good, but I was tired at that point.

The second day was infinitely better. Tapes n' Tapes were darned peppy, and the one-two punch of Danielson and Jens Lekman made me extraordinarily happy. Jens decided to be a bro and play "You Are the Light", and I really respect that. I've never really listened to The National, but the singer reminded me of Ian Curtis. I could go either way on that. I love Drum's Not Dead, and I was sitting under a tree in the shade when Liars played, so it was pretty much heaven. Then a lull came. I was pretty tired, and Aesop Rock and Mission of Burma weren't doing too much for me. I was hoping Devendra would be my savior, but I can't say that I loved his set. I didn't mind it, I suppose. It was fun, and he looked goofy. He also sang "Doo Wop (That Thing"). Yet...the love's just not really there. Yo La Tengo pretty much kept the pattern up. But I got a little drunk for Spoon, and it was paradise from then on out.

Guess what I'm listening to right now

The Crane Wife!! It's so different than Picaresque, or, in fact, anything they've done. The pop tunery of Picaresque is replaced by Tainish choruslessness.

How many words did I make up in that last sentence?

In defense of Girl Talk's Night Ripper

Guys. Let's forget this whole "gimmicky" thing. Isn't one man's gimmick another man's concept? This album is just plain awesome. The musicality of the mash-ups is pretty top notch, admit it.

The Pipettes aren't that great

I've been hearing about how awesome this album is since it leaked, and I have not been able to get that into it at all. You are all insane and/or stupid.

That may seem like unnecessary immaturity, but I promise you it is not.

Weeds is a great show

I finally caught the last few episodes of the first season, and I am so happy that I did it just in time for the new season. The Emmy nominations were hilariously bizarre this year, but they did have some painful ommisions. Mary Lousie Parker is incredible. How is Jane Kazmerskkfjfn in any way more deserving of this nomination than MLP? Seriously, someone explain this to me.

Anyways, I love the use of The Mountain Goats, I love the "punishment light", I love the Godfather references, and I love Elizabeth Perkins (the emmys got that right). What I don't love, is that Showtime shows so many plot developments of the new season in their promos. That is unnecessary. I'm already pumped, thank you. You don't need to coax me in by giving away plot details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home